lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Better documentation for solr-ruby
Date Sat, 16 Jun 2007 05:31:28 GMT
Thiago,

You've hit on my weaknesses in getting this stuff as documented as it
needs to be for consumption.  I personally use the unit tests as my
documentation (we have near 100% code coverage, so it is
comprehensive but short and sweet too).  RDoc has not been something
I've gotten into, my apologies.  And I also apologize for the README
and wiki from not being clear.

I run trunk Solr and trunk solr-ruby in most of my life, and right
now they are both Solr 1.2 compatible, Solr 1.1 is not supported at
all unless you went back in time with solr-ruby also.

The examples were never meant to work with the Solr example schema,
but rather the Solr configuration that comes with solr-ruby (which is
currently only in svn, not in the Ruby gem, my bad).  But, here's how
I run it:

	java -Dsolr.solr.home=<path to solr-ruby's solr directory> -jar
start.jar

Now the #add will work fine.  _text and _facet were the conventions I
chose in solr-ruby examples, but solr-ruby is agnostic on the schema
and any fields (that match the schema can be used).

My personal and professional life are in this summer time frenzy
right now, so I won't be able to touch this stuff myself,
conservatively, for the next couple of weeks, but I will be tuning in
and committing patches if folks want to send 'em in, and by all means
feel free to edit the wiki too.  RDoc patches in particular would
really rock.  And we can find a way to publish them online either at
RubyForge or as part of the Solr website.

	Erik