lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: flare sessions
Date Wed, 02 May 2007 13:07:24 GMT
I use Flare as a plugin in this manner for Blacklight - http://
aleph.lib.virginia.edu/blacklight - :

$ svn proplist -v vendor/plugins/
Properties on 'vendor/plugins':
   svn:externals : flare http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/lucene/solr/
trunk/client/ruby/flare/vendor/plugins/flare/

This of course relies on you using Subversion for your project.
Actually locally I override that and symlink it to my local flare
development directory, so I don't have to commit changes to flare and
then update blacklight to test things out.  I just change it and
reload/refresh.

  $ ls -l vendor/plugins/
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   7 erik  erik  238 Apr  6 16:53 exception_notification
lrwxr-xr-x   1 erik  erik   38 Apr 12 20:53 flare -> /Users/erik/
flare/vendor/plugins/flare
drwxr-xr-x   5 erik  erik  170 Apr  6 16:53 solr-ruby

I don't recommend having Flare as a separate Rails app.  It was
always intended to be used as a plugin inside of your own custom
Rails application, such that it would benefit from tight integration
like you're after with sessions, not to mention the UI with layouts,
etc.

If folks use flare like a plugin, it'll be much easier for us to see
where to aim our efforts for evolving it.  For example, a lot of the
UI pieces can be generalized into views within the plugin, so your
own Rails app wouldn't need to have templates for the stock stuff
like facet lists with pie charts, etc.  We'll make high-level helpers
that generate the view which can be easily overridden for
customizations.  That's the idea!

	Erik