lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From "Coda Hale" <coda.h...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solrb/flare in action?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 01:11:03 GMT
On 2/13/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> I personally am currently -0 to -1 on releasing solrb at rubyforge.
> I know its the "Ruby Way", but we're at Apache and I'd like to do
> this the "Apache Way".  Making releases available elsewhere is
> frowned upon.
>
> I have no objections, for the time being, to us checking in packages
> (.gem/.tar/etc) under the pkg directory as "release candidates" and
> allowing folks to "gem install -source ... " them.  I think the
> additional -source switch gives Ed heartburn, though I really want to
> make sure we do this the Apache way as much as possible.

Hosting gems outside of Rubyforge means that I don't get to type 'gem
update' and have the latest version of solrb installed. So I'm at a
loss as to why "the Apache way" should mean more complicated systems
maintenance for me. I mean, I don't go to apache.org and download,
compile, and install a src tarball every time there's an update to the
HTTP server -- I type 'apt-get upgrade'.

If it were complicated to add gems to Rubyforge, I could understand,
but it's the work of a few minutes every release.

--
Coda Hale
http://blog.codahale.com