lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From "Coda Hale" <coda.h...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: solrb/flare in action?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 07:51:46 GMT
On 2/12/07, Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote:
> so, anyone making use of solrb (and maybe even flare) yet?

We're on the *verge* of deploying the first round of user-facing Solr
functionality at my work (using solrb), and it's amazing. Almost a
million records and we can still run stupid-complicated queries ("find
me anything with at least 4 of these 10 tags") in milliseconds. solrb
is *really* working well, especially since it's so light-weight.

On 2/12/07, Edward Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
> Honestly I would prefer to keep solrb lean and mean...instead of it
> becoming a huge kitchen sink of features that are difficult to wade
> through.

I totally agree. One of the things that got me using solrb was that it
let me define how to bind it to my own application, instead of being
an all-singing, all-dancing, acts_as_everything_everywhere-style
plugin.

Some changes I'd like to see (and will be willing to help out with):
* gem packaging and distribution on rubyforge (along with a quick
release schedule)
* add XML parsing capability to libxml-ruby code
* better documentation, both on the method level and on the integration level
* more modular request/response design
* better security -- make sure Solr gets passed sanitary data
* query builder DSL?

I'm sure once we roll out more functionality based on solrb I'll have
a lot more ideas.

--
Coda Hale
http://blog.codahale.com