lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: NO_NORMS and TOKENIZED?
Date Sat, 17 Feb 2007 01:59:39 GMT

On Feb 16, 2007, at 5:42 PM, Erik Hatcher wrote:

> I think we could simplify (wow, even at this early stage) the solrb
> code a bit by simply representing a document as a Hash.

FWIW, "documents as hashes" was something that Dave Balmain and I
discussed at length on the Ferret list and found ourselves in
complete agreement about.

> Marvin makes some other great points about fixed schemas, which
> maps to the schema.xml facility of Solr I believe.

You are kind.  The funny thing is, I know very little about Solr.
(I'm an accidental legacy subscriber to this list.)  I didn't even
realize it had a "schema" package until I was preparing to post and
went researching.

The KinoSearch::Schema class was actually inspired by the raft of
object-relational mappers on CPAN: Class::DBI (by Tony Bowden, a
primary developer of Plucene), DBIx::Class, etc.  I thought of it as
and ORM without the underlying SQL table definition.

If there is convergence between KS and Solr on this issue, though, I
wouldn't be surprised.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/