lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: solrb/flare in action?
Date Wed, 14 Feb 2007 02:56:28 GMT

On Feb 13, 2007, at 9:43 PM, Edward Summers wrote:
> I can understand wanting to have code and packages hosted at
> apache. But I don't seem what the problem is with at the same time
> distributing the gem in a way that is familiar to the ruby
> community at large. This is how rails is distributed for example
> [1,2].

Certainly a good point about Rails itself.

Again, I'm not trying to make things more complicated or unfamiliar
to anyone.  Let me spell out my ideal:

	gem install solrb

and have that come from apache.org.  If rubygems cannot currently
handle this, then I'd like to push in that direction.  It would
require us to work on some infrastructure issues and get gems and
their manifests deployed properly to be mirrored.

But, let's move forward with the release planning rather than going
back and forth with handwaving over the hassles apache.org deployment
may present to Ruby developers.

With what we've got, how do we deploy a gem to RubyForge?  Who would
be in charge of that and how would that coordinate with the official
building of the release?  Can we do this straight from rake?  "rake
release"?  I'm all for us releasing to RubyForge given this
discussion.  And I'll try the parallel track of pushing the Apache
infrastructure and rubygems modifications.

	Erik