lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: SV: Re: solrb/flare in action?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 14:40:32 GMT

On Feb 13, 2007, at 8:53 AM, Antonio Eggberg wrote:

> My work with Flare is going to lead to some UI-centric DSL stuff,
> very much like Streamlined.  And that will in turn have some
> direction for the underlying solrb layer as well.
>
> Interesting. The project was somewhat "slow" for a while but now
> that I checked it's all up and running with 0.07. Do you have any
> interest of using Streamlined in Flare?

I don't actually envision using Streamlined as-is, but rather being
Streamlined-like.  Streamlined is very ActiveRecord dependent.  While
I've yet to settle on exactly what Flare is, my current thinking is
that it'll be a Rails plugin that becomes the "Streamlined of Solr".
I think there will be more to it than just that, and being Rails-
centric is not the goal, but rather one nice integration point to
have.  I think what we build will be applicable to Camping and the
next cool Ruby web framework too.

> Furthermore are there more rails plugin that you envision using? if
> so what?..... would be nice to get a head start :-)

Currently I don't foresee using any other Rails plugins as Flare
dependencies.  Though in a similar vein as Streamlined, we ought to
roll in the acts_as_solr feature similar to the acts_as_ferret plugin.

Anyone out there integrating an ActiveRecord model and Solr/solrb?
If so, would acts_as_solr make your life easier?

	Erik