lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: solrb/flare in action?
Date Tue, 13 Feb 2007 13:36:41 GMT

On Feb 13, 2007, at 3:21 AM, Olle Jonsson wrote:
>> let me define how to bind it to my own application, instead of being
>> an all-singing, all-dancing, acts_as_everything_everywhere-style
>> plugin.
> A resounding +1.

However, I do think we should fairly soon roll in a "acts_as_solr"
ActiveRecord hook.  I don't personally use ActiveRecord in this way,
but it would be a huge draw for many.  And its not all that hard to
implement.  Though field naming conventions are tricky... should the
Solr schema.xml be generic enough to adapt to any model?  Or should
the schema be more rigidly defined towards a specific model?

> (I'm also interested in fiddling with the source. So much fun, so
> little time.)

Jump on in!

> Just to say it aloud: http://wiki.apache.org/solr/solrb/
> BrainStorming gets me all giddy with anticipation.

This was a just a quick off-the-cuff idea.  How we tie Solr to a Ruby
object model is the trick that I've not yet experienced a clean
solution for.

My work with Flare is going to lead to some UI-centric DSL stuff,
very much like Streamlined.  And that will in turn have some
direction for the underlying solrb layer as well.

> PS Erik: (Mr. Wettin says hi. He explained solr and solrb to me.
> I'm sold.)

"Hi" back to Karl!

	Erik