lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject solrb renaming
Date Thu, 15 Feb 2007 15:12:29 GMT
It has been discussed in the past and even more today in the
#code4lib chat room that we ought to rename the solrb package so that
things start aesthetically pleasing:

	gem install solrb

apparently doesn't strike a chord with everyone.  I'm not tied to
solrb.  The original intention of that name was "sol.rb" to spin off
of the Spanish spelling of sun.   And I think naming the gem "sol.rb"
literally is a bad idea for syntactic reasons in that it'll likely
trip something up along the way (are there gems with dots in their
names out there now?).

So, here are some ideas tossed out for renaming consideration:

	solr-ruby
	ruby-solr
	solr-client
	solr

My $0.02: "gem install solr" implies installing Solr itself which we
currently are not going to do.  "solr-ruby" or "ruby-solr" are more
suitable to me.  I don't personally mind "solrb", but I can see how
it isn't all that pleasing to others.

Thoughts?

	Erik