lucene-ruby-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Brown <paulwilsonbr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ruby/swig/clucene
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2005 19:27:56 GMT
Erk,

   A couple things have come to light in the last couple days, since i
started work on this.  One is that the latest stable release of
CLucene (has it been adopted by apache now?) that I was working with
is apparently ripe to be replaced by a newer release, according to
it's maintainer Ben.  The second is that this newer release has a lot
of SWIG typemaps and interfaces already built, which should reduce the
amount of ruby specific code necessary - scrapping some if not most of
the work I did on Thursday. :)  I'm not a traditional member of the
contributing free software community, so I am open to whatever the
least restrictive and most appropriate licenesing scheme is, should it
turn out that this new version of CLucene actually requires enough
work to warrant a seperate release and not just inclusion in the
CLucene project itself.

   Having said those things,  I am not sure how much time I am going
to have to spend on this project moving forward.  When i started on
this i had intended to pull a bunch of overnighters this weekend to
get enough of something going to be useful to me operating under the
potentially overly optimistic assumption that I would indeed be able
to get something useful going in that timeframe.  But if nothing else
comes out of this, I am happy to have produced at least a couple basic
test cases showing the viability of this project.

   I'm checking out the latest branch of CLucene as we speak and going
to start poking at it.  I'll let the list know how it goes.

Paul