From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 8.1.1
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 18:42:39 GMT

On Mon, 17 Jun 2019, David Allouche wrote:

> Thank you, that was very informative.
>
> +0 for this release, I builds and pass my test suite.
>
> But I was unable to make a complete integration test because I do not have
> a proper index format migration infrastructure and my index is made of
> incompletely-upgraded lucene6 and lucene7 segments.

So far, you're the only one who has cast a vote.
No one else, no PMC member, none of the longtime users, no one.

Besides the Apache procedural aspect, voting is also a gauge of interest in
a project. If there is no user interest in the PyLucene project anymore
maybe it's time to stop making releases for a while ?

PyLucene is a bit special in that it doesn't involve many people for
development since it is machine-generated by JCC and JCC has been stable for
a while. In that sense, it is important that actual users of PyLucene make
themselves known by voting, not much else goes on on the project's mailing
list or in the source code.

If there are actual users showing interest by voting here, I feel more
confortable then in nagging people on the Lucene PMC for their procedural
vote.

Andi..

> I will post my questions about index upgrading on
> java-user@lucene.apache.org <mailto:java-user@lucene.apache.org>.

> Regards.
>
>> On 11 Jun 2019, at 16:50, Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 11, 2019, at 06:30, David Allouche <david@allouche.net> wrote:
>>>
>>> This is maybe a silly question, but what is the purpose of this voting process?
>>
>> By the rules of Apache, three PMC binding votes are needed to make a release. In
addition, it's a gauge of general interest in the project.

>>> Is this something required by the project governance?
>>
>> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
>> (see "votes on package releases", in particular)
>>
>>> What is the meaning of a vote? Does that mean "I am interested", or does it mean
"I have tested the latest trunk and it looks good", or something else?

>> If you find a bug in the release artifacts (not in the latest trunk) before the release
is made, the release is likely to be pulled.

>>> What is the typical expected delay for reply? For example, I reserve Fridays
for technical debt management (including upgrading dependencies), so I cannot typically validate
a new PyLucene version in less than a week.

>> A vote must run for at least 72 hours.
>> Because you are not on the PMC, your vote falls into the "interest gauging" category,
is not binding and is considered "best effort".

>>> This is probably all common questions with well documented answers. If that's
the case, then it would be nice to have a link to the answers in VOTE requests.