From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not load codec 'Lucene62'. Did you forget to add lucene-backward-codecs.jar?
Date Tue, 04 Jun 2019 21:50:34 GMT

On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Andi Vajda wrote:

> I wasn't aware of this jar file ;-)
> Did you try adding it in the Makefile and seeing if that fixes the problem ?

It looks like both lucene-codecs.jar and lucene-backward-codecs.jar are
missing...

Andi..

> Andi..
>
>> On Jun 4, 2019, at 11:30, David Allouche <david@allouche.net> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I use pylucene, and I am upgrading from 6.5.0 to 7.7.1.
>>
>> Opening my old index using the new pylucene, I get
>>
>>> Traceback (most recent call last):
>>>  File "/home/user/jobaffinity/lib/luceneindex.py", line 58, in create_lucene_index_maybe
>>>    writer = IndexWriter(directory, config)
>>> lucene.JavaError: <super: <class 'JavaError'>, <JavaError object>>
>>>    Java stacktrace:
>>> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Could not load codec 'Lucene62'.  Did you
forget to add lucene-backward-codecs.jar?
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCodec(SegmentInfos.java:428)
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCommit(SegmentInfos.java:360)
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCommit(SegmentInfos.java:291)
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.index.IndexWriter.<init>(IndexWriter.java:845)
>>> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: An SPI class of type org.apache.lucene.codecs.Codec
with name 'Lucene62' does not exist.  You need to add the corresponding JAR file supporting
this SPI to your classpath.  The current classpath supports the following names: [Lucene70]
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.util.NamedSPILoader.lookup(NamedSPILoader.java:116)
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.codecs.Codec.forName(Codec.java:116)
>>>    at org.apache.lucene.index.SegmentInfos.readCodec(SegmentInfos.java:424)
>>>    ... 3 more
>>
>> I am really not familiar with the Java side of things. With some help from the web,
I found out where to download the jars.

>> I presume I need http://central.maven.org/maven2/org/apache/lucene/lucene-backward-codecs/7.7.1/lucene-backward-codecs-7.7.1.jar
>>
>> But then, I am quite clueless about what to do. I tried dumping the jar right next
to lucene-core-7.7.1.jar, in my $(VENV)/lib/python2.7/site-packages/lucene, but that does
not seem to help.

>> I have a large-ish index with about 22M entries, used in a public-facing service,
so I very much like to avoid rebuilding the index every time I upgrade pylucene.