From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 8.1.1
Date Tue, 11 Jun 2019 14:50:45 GMT

> On Jun 11, 2019, at 06:30, David Allouche <david@allouche.net> wrote:
>
> This is maybe a silly question, but what is the purpose of this voting process?

By the rules of Apache, three PMC binding votes are needed to make a release. In addition,
it's a gauge of general interest in the project.

> Is this something required by the project governance?

https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
 (see "votes on package releases", in particular)

> What is the meaning of a vote? Does that mean "I am interested", or does it mean "I have
tested the latest trunk and it looks good", or something else?

If you find a bug in the release artifacts (not in the latest trunk) before the release is
made, the release is likely to be pulled.

> What is the typical expected delay for reply? For example, I reserve Fridays for technical
debt management (including upgrading dependencies), so I cannot typically validate a new PyLucene
version in less than a week.

A vote must run for at least 72 hours.
Because you are not on the PMC, your vote falls into the "interest gauging" category, is not
binding and is considered "best effort".

> This is probably all common questions with well documented answers. If that's the case,
then it would be nice to have a link to the answers in VOTE requests.

https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html

Andi..