From David Allouche <da...@allouche.net>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 8.1.1
Date Mon, 17 Jun 2019 15:19:40 GMT
Thank you, that was very informative.

+0 for this release, I builds and pass my test suite.

But I was unable to make a complete integration test because I do not have a proper index
format migration infrastructure and my index is made of incompletely-upgraded lucene6 and
lucene7 segments.

I will post my questions about index upgrading on java-user@lucene.apache.org <mailto:java-user@lucene.apache.org>.

Regards.

> On 11 Jun 2019, at 16:50, Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 11, 2019, at 06:30, David Allouche <david@allouche.net> wrote:
>>
>> This is maybe a silly question, but what is the purpose of this voting process?
>
> By the rules of Apache, three PMC binding votes are needed to make a release. In addition,
it's a gauge of general interest in the project.

>> Is this something required by the project governance?
>
> https://www.apache.org/foundation/voting.html
> (see "votes on package releases", in particular)
>
>> What is the meaning of a vote? Does that mean "I am interested", or does it mean
"I have tested the latest trunk and it looks good", or something else?

> If you find a bug in the release artifacts (not in the latest trunk) before the release
is made, the release is likely to be pulled.

>> What is the typical expected delay for reply? For example, I reserve Fridays for
technical debt management (including upgrading dependencies), so I cannot typically validate
a new PyLucene version in less than a week.

> A vote must run for at least 72 hours.
> Because you are not on the PMC, your vote falls into the "interest gauging" category,
is not binding and is considered "best effort".

>> This is probably all common questions with well documented answers. If that's the
case, then it would be nice to have a link to the answers in VOTE requests.