From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 21:02:16 GMT

On Fri, 6 Jan 2017, Jan Høydahl wrote:

> Hi,
>
>> I hope you didn?t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of
>> JCC/PyLucene and especially all the effort you?ve put into this.
>

> PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions is a
must.
> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
>
>> So if some funding is required to get this going ?
>
> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and
became
> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users
to step ut and take
> responsibility.
>
> How ?funding? would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending money to the
ASF,
> but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through developer time)
the major
> work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other users will contribute
along
> the way too.
>
> You will of course need help from experienced developers, but the ideal situation is
that after
> a couple of such patches that get committed, you (or the developer working on the code)
will be nominated
> as committer and can continue developing PyLucene without the need for Andi or any other
one individual.

>> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but I still
didn't see any conclusion/decision

> The discussion sparked some new development and a release, which is a success. So the
decission I guess is to keep PyLucene alive and try to strengthen the community.
> As long as the project continues to produce releases, it is (somewhat) alive.
> If on the other hand another year or two goes by without another release, I?m sure the
PMC will take action again.

I intend to produce a PyLucene 6.4 release once Lucene 6.4 is done.
It's been a few months now...

Andi..

> --
> Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
> Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com
>
>> 6. jan. 2017 kl. 10.34 skrev Thomas Koch <koch@orbiteam.de>:
>>
>> Dear Andi,
>>
>> I?ve just sent the link to the public gist with the patch to Petrus and this list.
As mentioned by Oliver we?d be more than happy if a core developer of JCC/PyLucene could review
the patch and decide what to do with it. It has been developed without intimate knowledge
of JCC with the goal to make PyLucene(36) usable with Python3. It may have some issues or
need improvements (also cf. "IMPORTANT NOTES" in my last email about current limitations of
the patch). That?s where export review (and effort) is needed.

>> For the future of course a port to newer versions of JCC/PyLucene would be more than
valuable. I think what Oliver wanted to express is that we don?t have that much deep know
how of JCC and can thus can only provide initial efforts and contributions, but for production/release
ready code an export review is still needed. Also we haven?t watched the development of newer
versions of PyLucene as we?re still stuck with PyLucene36.

http://py3readiness.org <http://py3readiness.org/>
>> - Python2 support will end by 2020 (sounds far away but isn't - cf.  https://pythonclock.org
<https://pythonclock.org/> )

>> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but I still
didn't see any conclusion/decision. Without a transparent roadmap and ongoing development
(i.e. new releases, Python3 support etc.) the usage of JCC/PyLucene is most likely unattractive
for developers who start a new project and this is where the user base shrinks and further
contributions are stalled (somehow a chicken-egg-problem).

>> I'm not sure how far the ASF may help here, but I've read that the Python Software
Foundation occasionally funds projects to port libraries that are widely used but don't have
enough of a community to do a port.
>> cf. https://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/2115204/interviews-guido-van-rossum-answers-your-questions
<https://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/2115204/interviews-guido-van-rossum-answers-your-questions>

>> So if some funding is required to get this going ...
>>

>> best regards,
>>
>> Thomas
>> ?

patches needed to JCC and PyLucene for use/review on the list - but didn't get any feedback
so far.
<https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html> <https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html
<https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html>>

>>> Indeed, re-reading this thread, I remember now. There is no patch attached and
the tone of the contribution offer is a little off putting. It comes across more as a one
time abandon-ware contribution as something with authors standing behind ready to respond
to code review comments. I have a similar python 3 jcc patch sitting in an svn branch that
could be revived. I've stated in the past that I intended to do so but lacked time. Interest
in a Python 3 jcc has been scant so I haven't put much priority into this task.