From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 16:37:45 GMT

> On Jan 12, 2017, at 03:47, Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com> wrote:
>

>>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest
in it.
>> so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …
>
> This is the case for all ASF projects and sub projects. If a project is unable to produce
> new releases, usually due to too few developers, or loss of interest, or lack of users,
> the project will end up in the Attic. For a TLP it would be the Board intervening, while
> for sub projects I believe it is the TLPs responsibility to make sure things are healthy.
>
>>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going
is user/developer
>>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the
time, and became
>>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other
users to step ut and take
>>> responsibility.
>>>
>> That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user
- who is the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?

> I may have misunderstood myself, but it is quite normal for a commiter’s availability
to vary over the years,
> and for that reason it would be a big benefit for PyLucene to have at least two other
active devs voted in
> as committers. As I understand it, PyLucene does not require much effort to keep up to
date, except when
> there are major changes such as Py3 or porting tests etc.
>
> I’m not a user myself, so I’m a bit on the sideline here, being on the PMC.
>
>> We developed and provided the patch (which already took some time) for review and
further adaption and really hope now for other users to step in. This is our current position
for several reasons an after internal discussions which I cannot disclose here. Sorry. On
the other hand, if we’d be the only user(s) interested/willing to push Python3 support (and
Pylucene/JCC as a whole) then this project could not survive anyway I fear.

> Absolutely, you have done “your share” and more, and that is what such a project
needs, and right
> now PyLucene needs more than one guy who can jump in and make Py3 happen.
> I guess what I was trying to get across is that if Andi will forever be the one guy everyone
depend on
> to get the smallest contribution landed in the codebase, it will not be sustainable going
forward, and
> probably not ideal for Andi nor the other users.
>
> So what would it take to bring one other developer up to a “pro" level, and are there
anyone who have such a desire?

Just as on the Lucene project: repeated sizable contributions, an understanding on how projects
function in the Apache community, a commitment to work within it and a successful committership
vote.

If someone were to donate time to make the JCC 3 patch work with trunk and submitted that
and showed interest in the project in general, over time, not just doing a one time code drop,
they'd be well qualified to become a committer.

Andi..