From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 11:47:18 GMT

>> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in
it.
> so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …

This is the case for all ASF projects and sub projects. If a project is unable to produce
new releases, usually due to too few developers, or loss of interest, or lack of users,
the project will end up in the Attic. For a TLP it would be the Board intervening, while
for sub projects I believe it is the TLPs responsibility to make sure things are healthy.

>> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
>> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time,
and became
>> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users
to step ut and take
>> responsibility.
>>
> That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user -
who is the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?

I may have misunderstood myself, but it is quite normal for a commiter’s availability to
vary over the years,
and for that reason it would be a big benefit for PyLucene to have at least two other active
devs voted in
as committers. As I understand it, PyLucene does not require much effort to keep up to date,
except when
there are major changes such as Py3 or porting tests etc.

I’m not a user myself, so I’m a bit on the sideline here, being on the PMC.

> We developed and provided the patch (which already took some time) for review and further
adaption and really hope now for other users to step in. This is our current position for
several reasons an after internal discussions which I cannot disclose here. Sorry. On the
other hand, if we’d be the only user(s) interested/willing to push Python3 support (and
Pylucene/JCC as a whole) then this project could not survive anyway I fear.

Absolutely, you have done “your share” and more, and that is what such a project needs,
and right
now PyLucene needs more than one guy who can jump in and make Py3 happen.
I guess what I was trying to get across is that if Andi will forever be the one guy everyone
depend on
to get the smallest contribution landed in the codebase, it will not be sustainable going
forward, and
probably not ideal for Andi nor the other users.

So what would it take to bring one other developer up to a “pro" level, and are there anyone
who have such a desire?

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com