From Thomas Koch <k...@orbiteam.de>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Thu, 12 Jan 2017 10:22:05 GMT
Dear Jan,
thanks for your explanations.

> PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions is a
must.
I’m quite familiar with community contributions - have already submitted code and feedback,
tested Pylucene releases, did provide support to other users and voted several times for new
releases.

> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
so is this different to how the main (Java)Lucene project works? just curious …

> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and
became
> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users
to step ut and take
> responsibility.

That’s first time I hear this (bad) news. So if Andi is no longer an active user - who is
the maintainer of PyLucene/JCC?

> How “funding” would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending money to
the ASF,
> but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through developer time)
the major
> work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other users will contribute
along
> the way too.

We developed and provided the patch (which already took some time) for review and further
adaption and really hope now for other users to step in. This is our current position for
several reasons an after internal discussions which I cannot disclose here. Sorry. On the
other hand, if we’d be the only user(s) interested/willing to push Python3 support (and
Pylucene/JCC as a whole) then this project could not survive anyway I fear.

best regards,

Thomas
—
> Am 06.01.2017 um 12:32 schrieb Jan Høydahl <jan.asf@cominvent.com>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> I hope you didn’t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of JCC/PyLucene
and especially all the effort you’ve put into this.

> PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions is a
must.
> The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.
>
>> So if some funding is required to get this going …
>
> For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
> involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and
became
> a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users
to step ut and take
> responsibility.
>
> How “funding” would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending money to
the ASF,
> but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through developer time)
the major
> work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other users will contribute
along
> the way too.
>
> You will of course need help from experienced developers, but the ideal situation is
that after
> a couple of such patches that get committed, you (or the developer working on the code)
will be nominated
> as committer and can continue developing PyLucene without the need for Andi or any other
one individual.

>> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but I still
didn't see any conclusion/decision

> The discussion sparked some new development and a release, which is a success. So the
decission I guess is to keep PyLucene alive and try to strengthen the community.
> As long as the project continues to produce releases, it is (somewhat) alive.
> If on the other hand another year or two goes by without another release, I’m sure
the PMC will take action again.