From Thomas Koch <k...@orbiteam.de>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 09:07:52 GMT

> Am 04.01.2017 um 10:59 schrieb Petrus Hyvönen <petrus.hyvonen@gmail.com>:
>
> Dear Thomas,
>
> I would be very interested in a python 3 port of JCC. I am not a very skilled developer,
looked at starting a development based on the old python-3 version but it's beyond my current
skills.

> I would be happy to help and test and review the JCC patches, I think your patches would
be a valuable contribution to JCC.

> With Best Regards
> /Petrus

Dear Petrus,
the "patch" is available in this gist
https://gist.github.com/tommykoch/8b3cec18d6f3650d05d235c46ba3b055 <https://gist.github.com/tommykoch/8b3cec18d6f3650d05d235c46ba3b055>

It consists of 3 files:
 - one build script (build.py)
 - a patch file for jcc (pylucene_3_6-jcc-P3.patch)
 - a patch file for pylucene3.6 (pylucene_3_6-P3.patch)

in our environment the 3 files are located in
 <root>/tools/build/pylucene
and the output (i.e. patched Pylucene36) is created in
 <root>/build

if you create this structure you may simply run
$ cd tools/build/pylucene
$ build.py build

which will checkout Pylucene36 from SVN (in <root>/build), apply the patch files and
build JCC and PyLucene.
The Script is intended to run on Linux (or MacOS) - a diff binary and svn installation is
required.

also easy_install(3) is needed to install the generated egg files -
besides the usual requirements for a PyLucene build (python3.4+, Java, gcc ...)

IMPORTANT NOTES:
- the patch is "one way" i.e. the patched Pylucene36 won't work with Py27 anymore!
- the patch is for the old (and outdated) PyLucene36 version only - it has not yet been tested/ported
to newer versions of JCC/Pylucene
- the patched JCC has only been used/tested with PyLucene - not with any other Java library

A review of a core developer of JCC/Pylucene would also be good - I’ll ask Andi what he
thinks about this suggestion.

best regards,

Thomas