From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Wed, 04 Jan 2017 18:41:18 GMT

On Jan 4, 2017, at 00:13, Thomas Koch <koch@orbiteam.de> wrote:

>> NameError: global name 'WindowsError' is not defined
>> in
>> ERROR: test_FieldEnumeration (__main__.Test_PyLuceneWithFSStore)
>

> I've downloaded current version
>    pylucene-6.2.0-src.tar.gz    2016-09-18 09:04   30M
> and was able to build JCC and PyLucene on MacOS X10.11 (64-bit, Python 2.7.10 , Java
1.8.0)

> 'make test' runs without any issues.
>
> From the stacktrace and the error:
> NameError: global name 'WindowsError' is not defined
> I assume that one test fails to cleanup the store directory and then runs in the  undefined
'WindowsError' in test_Python.py

>    def tearDown(self):
>
>        if os.path.exists(self.STORE_DIR):
>            try:
>                shutil.rmtree(self.STORE_DIR)
>            except WindowsError:
>                # maybe leaking file handles in closing stores
>                # does not affect other tests
>                pass
>
> Please look for a directory named 'testrepo‘ , then check it's file permissions and
remove it (maybe you did ran the tests as root initially?) - finally run the test again.

> Of course the error should be catched better on Linux... You could file a bug report
here:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PYLUCENE <https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/PYLUCENE>
>
> Note that 'WindowsError' is only available on Windows platform.
>

>> for me. I'm using:
>> python 2.7.12 (I have also tried python 3.5.2 but I have problems to
>> compile gcc)
>

> Note that PyLucene currently lacks official Python3 support!
> We've done a port of PyLucene 3.6 (!) to support Python3 and offered the patches needed
to JCC and PyLucene for use/review on the list - but didn't get any feedback so far.
> cf. https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html <https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html>

Indeed, re-reading this thread, I remember now. There is no patch attached and the tone of
the contribution offer is a little off putting. It comes across more as a one time abandon-ware
contribution as something with authors standing behind ready to respond to code review comments.
I have a similar python 3 jcc patch sitting in an svn branch that could be revived. I've stated
in the past that I intended to do so but lacked time. Interest in a Python 3 jcc has been
scant so I haven't put much priority into this task.

Andi..