From Jan Høydahl <jan....@cominvent.com>
Subject Re: Installing PyLucene
Date Fri, 06 Jan 2017 11:32:47 GMT
Hi,

> I hope you didn’t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of JCC/PyLucene and
especially all the effort you’ve put into this.

PyLucene is driven by its own community, and user involvement and contributions is a must.
The (sub)project will survive only to the extent that its current users invest in it.

> So if some funding is required to get this going …

For an ASF Open Source Project, the only thing that is required to get going is user/developer
involvement and teamwork. While Andi started the project due to needs at the time, and became
a committer, he is no longer an active user, so perhaps time has come for other users to step
ut and take
responsibility.

How “funding” would look like in the Python3 case is not so much sending money to the
ASF,
but more for individual companies like your own, to sponsor (through developer time) the major
work on the patch, and driving it through to completion. Hopefully other users will contribute
along
the way too.

You will of course need help from experienced developers, but the ideal situation is that
after
a couple of such patches that get committed, you (or the developer working on the code) will
be nominated
as committer and can continue developing PyLucene without the need for Andi or any other one
individual.

> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but I still
didn't see any conclusion/decision

The discussion sparked some new development and a release, which is a success. So the decission
I guess is to keep PyLucene alive and try to strengthen the community.
As long as the project continues to produce releases, it is (somewhat) alive.
If on the other hand another year or two goes by without another release, I’m sure the PMC
will take action again.

--
Jan Høydahl, search solution architect
Cominvent AS - www.cominvent.com

> 6. jan. 2017 kl. 10.34 skrev Thomas Koch <koch@orbiteam.de>:
>
> Dear Andi,
>
> I’ve just sent the link to the public gist with the patch to Petrus and this list.
As mentioned by Oliver we’d be more than happy if a core developer of JCC/PyLucene could
review the patch and decide what to do with it. It has been developed without intimate knowledge
of JCC with the goal to make PyLucene(36) usable with Python3. It may have some issues or
need improvements (also cf. "IMPORTANT NOTES" in my last email about current limitations of
the patch). That’s where export review (and effort) is needed.

> For the future of course a port to newer versions of JCC/PyLucene would be more than
valuable. I think what Oliver wanted to express is that we don’t have that much deep know
how of JCC and can thus can only provide initial efforts and contributions, but for production/release
ready code an export review is still needed. Also we haven’t watched the development of
newer versions of PyLucene as we’re still stuck with PyLucene36.

> I hope you didn’t get this wrong! We all appreciate the existence of JCC/PyLucene and
especially all the effort you’ve put into this.

> However, I fear that Python 3 support is a must-have for a Python tool or library that's
available today:
> - Python3 is here to stay! (py3.6 has just been released)
> - Most of the popular Python packages do meanwhile provide Python3 support - cf. http://py3readiness.org
<http://py3readiness.org/>
> - Python2 support will end by 2020 (sounds far away but isn't - cf.  https://pythonclock.org
<https://pythonclock.org/> )

> There has been some discussions about the future of PyLucene on this list but I still
didn't see any conclusion/decision. Without a transparent roadmap and ongoing development
(i.e. new releases, Python3 support etc.) the usage of JCC/PyLucene is most likely unattractive
for developers who start a new project and this is where the user base shrinks and further
contributions are stalled (somehow a chicken-egg-problem).

> I'm not sure how far the ASF may help here, but I've read that the Python Software Foundation
occasionally funds projects to port libraries that are widely used but don't have enough of
a community to do a port.
> cf. https://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/2115204/interviews-guido-van-rossum-answers-your-questions
<https://developers.slashdot.org/story/13/08/25/2115204/interviews-guido-van-rossum-answers-your-questions>

> So if some funding is required to get this going ...
>

> best regards,
>
> Thomas
> —
>> Am 04.01.2017 um 19:41 schrieb Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org>:
>>

>>> Note that PyLucene currently lacks official Python3 support!
>>> We've done a port of PyLucene 3.6 (!) to support Python3 and offered the patches
needed to JCC and PyLucene for use/review on the list - but didn't get any feedback so far.

>>> cf. https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html
<https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html> <https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html
<https://www.mail-archive.com/pylucene-dev@lucene.apache.org/msg02167.html>>

>> Indeed, re-reading this thread, I remember now. There is no patch attached and the
tone of the contribution offer is a little off putting. It comes across more as a one time
abandon-ware contribution as something with authors standing behind ready to respond to code
review comments. I have a similar python 3 jcc patch sitting in an svn branch that could be
revived. I've stated in the past that I intended to do so but lacked time. Interest in a Python
3 jcc has been scant so I haven't put much priority into this task.