From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current state of PyLucene
Date Sun, 15 Nov 2015 22:18:39 GMT

  Hi Thomas,

On Sun, 15 Nov 2015, Thomas Koch wrote:

> I?d like to know about the current state of PyLucene and its roadmap.
>
> According to the PyLucene website (latest entry 6 Oct 2014) PyLucene 4.10.1 is the latest
release whereas Java Lucene 5.0 branch appeared in February 2015 (as of September 2015 Apache
Lucene 5.3.1 is available).

> Are there any plans to continue support for the 5.x branch (or in general current and
future Lucene releases) in PyLucene?
> According to the Lucene website "PyLucene is a Python port of the Core project.? - so
it would be great if it could cover the same Lucene as in Java.

> We?re currently (still) using PyLucene 3.6 and would like to upgrade to a newer release.
Question is if we should upgrade to 4.x or wait for 5.x

> It should be noted that there are certainly some people using PyLucene - for example
I came across the lupyne project: Pythonic search engine based on PyLucene, including a standalone
server based on CherryPy.
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne <https://pypi.python.org/pypi/lupyne>

The PyLucene project has gone dormant for lack of interest: it can no longer
garner the votes, needed from the Lucene PMC, and appreciated from users, to
authorize a release via the Apache Foundation. The 4.10.4 release has been
languishing in release limbo since March 10, 2015.

Doing a port to 5.x is certainly possible but requires some work, especially
in porting (some) unit tests from Java to Python. General lack of interest is
not a motivating factor. As of now, the way to revive the project would be to
vote for releases when they're announced (Lucene PMC _and_ users) and send in
patches towards a 5.x port.
It would also be a useful move to enable JCC to support Python 3.

I'd be happy to get the projects (PyLucene and JCC) going again but not into a
void.

Thank you for your interest in PyLucene all these years (over 10 years now) !

Andi..