From Petrus Hyvönen <petrus.hyvo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Automatic typecasting of int to float
Date Sat, 14 Dec 2013 22:01:45 GMT
Hi,

Yes sorry it should have been float(tmp).

Yes, could be added to the java code, and if it's complex its probably not an issue in many
cases.

Regards
/Petrus

On 14 Dec 2013, at 20:59 , Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:

>> On Dec 14, 2013, at 16:46, Petrus Hyvönen <petrus.hyvonen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi!
>>
>> I am converting some java code to python scripts, using a JCC wrapped library.
>>
>> One thing that strikes me is that java seems to have a automatic typecast of int
to float, which is not present in the JCC wrapped library.

>> i.e. if a tmp=100 and obj.shift(tmp) is executed, and the method expects a float,
it seems to fail in the wrapped code while working in java. Of course it can be explicitly
typed obj.shift((float) tmp) but it does look as readable.

> In python, no, that syntax is incorrect. But you could use 100.0 instead of 100. Almost
as readable. Or add an intermediate method that casts to float.

> Could that feature be added to jcc ? sure, but it gets complicated fast. If you control
both ends of the app (the python and the java code), it's easiest to add an int overload to
the shift method and call the float version.

> Andi..
>

>> This is a minor thing, but could it be enabled so that this automatic conversion
from int to floats are done if no other matching signatures are found? (I assume this is the
way java works, I'm no java expert..)