From Robert Muir <rcm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 3.5.0
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 21:39:41 GMT
On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 8:22 PM, Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:

>> JavaError: java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This JRE does not have support
for Thai segmentation
>>    Java stacktrace:
>> java.lang.UnsupportedOperationException: This JRE does not have support for Thai
segmentation
>>        at org.apache.lucene.analysis.th.ThaiWordFilter.<init>(ThaiWordFilter.java:85)
>>        at org.apache.lucene.analysis.th.ThaiAnalyzer.createComponents(ThaiAnalyzer.java:64)
>>        at org.apache.lucene.analysis.ReusableAnalyzerBase.tokenStream(ReusableAnalyzerBase.java:92)
>>

> That's a Java error. Your JVM doesn't do Thai. I didn't know this was possible.
>
> A patch to silence this could be written and is welcome. Not a new issue and not a release
stopper, imho.

Hi Andi, I added this check (i think a few releases back) when I found
out some JVMs such as IBM's don't return a real thai-wordbreaker for
"th" Locale.

It could also be that even a Sun/Oracle JRE doesn't have support for
this (if its not the "international" version).
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/locales-137662.html

There is a public boolean constant available if you want to inspect
that its working: ThaiWordFilter.DBBI_AVAILABLE:

  /**
   * True if the JRE supports a working dictionary-based breakiterator for Thai.
   * If this is false, this filter will not work at all!
   */
  public static final boolean DBBI_AVAILABLE;

In our unit tests for Thai we don't fail the test if this is false:
    assumeTrue("JRE does not support Thai dictionary-based
BreakIterator", ThaiWordFilter.DBBI_AVAILABLE);

(though now that you brought it up, i see i missed adding this assume
to one of our tests... thanks)

--
lucidimagination.com