From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release PyLucene 3.1.0
Date Wed, 06 Apr 2011 21:16:11 GMT

On Wed, 6 Apr 2011, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>

>>  Hi Bill,
>>
>> The QueryParser class changed a bit. More overloads were introduced on
>> the Lucene side. You probably have a Python 'subclass' of QueryParser
>> that needs a bit of work to adapt to the changes.
>
> Thanks, but...   All that adds up to breakage for my users.

Unless I'm missing something here, you've got two options before you break
your users:
   1. fix your code before you ship it to them
   2. don't upgrade

Yes, you could say that the same applies to PyLucene, of course :-)

I'm not exactly sure what kind of backwards compat promises Lucene Java made
going from 3.0 to 3.1 but the new QueryParser method overloads and the fact
that there is no support for method overloads in Python make
PythonQueryParser a bit stuck between a rock and a hard place. If you see a
better way to fix the mess with the _quoted and _slop variants for
getFieldQuery, a patch is welcome.

Andi..