From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using org.apache.jcc.PythonVM
Date Mon, 07 Mar 2011 19:40:44 GMT

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>
>>> So, I went to my Mac, and looked for libjcc.dylib.  Sure enough,
>>> it's there.  So I tried this simple program:
>>>
>>> import org.apache.jcc.PythonVM;
>>>
>>> public class test {
>>>
>>>    public static void main (String[] argv) {
>>>        PythonVM.start("/usr/bin/python",
>>>             new String[] { "-c", "import time; print time.localtime()"});
>>>    }
>>> }
>>
>> It seems that you think that this is going to run /usr/bin/python.
>> Not really.
>
> Right.  I finally broke down and read the code.  I see there's no way to
> do a "simple" test case.
>
> What the "instantiate" code does is to load a callable from a specified
> module, then call it, passing no arguments.  That callable must return
> an instance of a Python class which explicitly extends a Java class, if
> the value is to be returned to Java.  Otherwise, a value of "null" is
> returned.  The callable may of course have side-effects in the Python
> world.
>
> It would be nice to be able to pass arguments to the callable.
>
> And there doesn't seem to be any way to modify Python's sys.path before
> one attempts to instantiate one's own Python class, either.  Adding a
> PythonVM.exec() method would be a help there.
>
>> To fix that, to help the dynamic linker to load that library, you need
>> to change the LFLAGS for 'darwin' in JCC's setup.py to also list the
>> python framework by adding '-framework', 'Python' to that list.
>> After rebuilding JCC, be sure then that otool lists libpython.dylib to
>> verify that it worked.
>
> Is there any reason not to make that change globally?  Is there a
> downside to automatically building against the Python framework on OS X?

Yes, if one uses a virtual env or some other non-standard Python framework
location, it's better to let the python executable provide the correct
library than having to ensure that it matches in setup.py.

I believe, at first, it was that way, there was a -framework Python entry.
I then removed it because it was in the way, if I remember correctly.

Andi..