From Bill Janssen <jans...@parc.com>
Subject Re: Using JCC / PyLucene with JEPP?
Date Fri, 04 Mar 2011 12:23:55 GMT
Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:

> >> If JEPP execs python, then that Python VM runs in a subprocess of the
> >
> > It's not Java's Runtime.exec(), it's Python's built-in function, "exec".
> > So the Python VM is running in the same address space as Java.
>
> Ok, so how is JEPP doing this from Tomcat without patching the Tomcat
> startup code so that the PythonVM is initialized in the main thread ?

I don't know that it is.  What I'm interested in doing is starting a
Python interpreter in Java, then occasionally calling into it to exec
some Python code.  It would be great if it could also eval a Python
expression and return the unicode() of the result.  I'd like to see if
I can add that functionality to PythonVM.  Then I'll worry about Tomcat,
where I imagine I'll have to do just what you've already done.

> If what you say is true then how is that different from what Roman is
> doing with JCC and Python's subprocessing module ?

I don't know that it is.  I use the subprocess module a lot in UpLib, too.

Bill