From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: throwing an exception *through* Java?
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2010 20:26:45 GMT

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010, Bill Janssen wrote:

> Here's a printout of what I'm seeing:
>
>  UpLibQueryParser.parse('_query_language:nl janssen')...
>  => lucene.VERSION: 3.0.2 , jcc._jcc.JCC_VERSION 2.6
>  => Exception received is JavaError(<Throwable: org.apache.jcc.PythonException:
Query specifies language 'nl'
>  Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/u/python/uplib/indexing.py", line 591, in getFieldQuery
>      raise RequiresQueryLanguage(text)
>  __main__.RequiresQueryLanguage: Query specifies language 'nl'
>  >,)

You are using --shared because the exception you're getting is
PythonException.

> Is there some way to check to see if lucene is using --shared at runtime?

No direct way that I can think of at the moment.

So, it looks like you're getting a JavaError that wraps a PythonException.
Yet it's wrapped by a JavaError. This could mean that the test that checks
if the PythonException instance is of class PythonException line 426 in
JCCEnv.cpp is failing.

As a hack, try changing that line to do a string compare on the class names
instead. Or just force it to true, even.

If that solves the problem, then you have an issue where this class,
PythonException is loaded multiple times. You might want to consider using
the new --import flag with --shared to better share common classes between
your modules. That being said, PythonException comes from the JCC runtime
itself, so it shouldn't be duplicated that way but I've been fooled by
class loaders before.

Andi..