From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Distributing pylucene on Linux
Date Tue, 01 Jun 2010 17:27:19 GMT

On Tue, 1 Jun 2010, Sanjeet Kumar wrote:

> We are using pylucence in an application and have compiled and build jcc
> and pylucene successfully on Debian/Ubuntu.
>
> We now want to be able to "distribute" our application as a more or less
> self-contained zip file for use on any flavor of Linux (eg. CentOS, Redhat,
> etc.).
> It will contain our code as well as the pylucene binaries. The only external
> requirements should be that the appropriate versions of python and Java be
> installed on the user's system.
>
> This works cleanly on a new Ubuntu system, but we had some initial problems
> with CentOS. While we debug further, the question is:
>
> Will this approach work? We'd like to avoid having to compile and build JCC
> and pylucene on all the distributions.

I doubt that this will be practical as quite a few things have to be lined
up for this work reliably:
   - 32- vs 64-bit builds of java and python
   - width of python's unicode character (16- or 32-bit, a configure option)
   - versions of the underlying system libraries used
   - locations of underlying libraries used
   - others I can't think of at the moment

Andi..