From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pylucene in a virtual environment
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 21:10:45 GMT

On Fri, 21 May 2010, herb@orcatec.com wrote:

> Thanks, Andi.
> Apparently installing this stuff in the virtual environment is a bit more
> difficult than installing regular packages.

?? It looks like I am trying to install JCC.egg-info/PKG-INFO in the wrong
place. ?? How do I tell it the right place? I'm on Ubuntu 10.04, by the way.

I don't know what's right or wrong for your setup ? Can you be more
specific ? When I build JCC by invoking my virtualenv's python executable it
does the right thing for mine.

Andi..

> Thanks,
> Herb

??
?? (venv)herb@Ubuntu2:~/pylucene-2.9.2-1/jcc$ python setup.py build
> running build
> running build_py
> copying jcc/config.py -> build/lib.linux-x86_64-2.6/jcc
> running build_ext
> (venv)herb@Ubuntu2:~/pylucene-2.9.2-1/jcc$ python setup.py install
> running install
> running bdist_egg
> running egg_info
> writing JCC.egg-info/PKG-INFO
> error: JCC.egg-info/PKG-INFO: Permission denied

??
??
??
??
??

??
> On May 21, 2010 at 6:37 PM Andi Vajda <vajda@apache.org> wrote:
>

>> On May 21, 2010, at 11:14, "herb@orcatec.com" <herb@orcatec.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I set up pylucene and installed it in the standard fashion.  That
??>> seems to have
>>> worked.  Now I am building a virtual environment to do some
??>> development in.
>>> I ran make from the virtualenv and it worked, but when I try to make
??>> install, it
>>> tries to put it in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/
>>>
>>> I saw a suggestion from Andi about using --home, but I'm not sure
??>> where to put
>>> it.  Is that what needs to be done?  Do I have to build jcc from the
??>> virtualenv
>>> as well?  In other words, where do I start when putting things in my
>>> virtualenv?  Can I copy from dist-packages?
>>
>> I use virtualenv a lot as I have to have a bunch of branches/configs
??> available on the same machine.

>> I always use the python executable that's installed in the virtualenv.
>> You need to make sure that's also the case in the PyLucene Makefile by
??> editing the section corresponding to your platform to make it so
??> (PREFIX_PYTHON).

>> I also always build jcc into the virtualenv first although that
??> shouldn't strictly be necessary since virtualenv normally inherits
??> modules from its origin.

>> Andi..
>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Herb