From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Problems passing PyLucene objects to jcc-wrapped bobo-browse api
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 21:19:56 GMT

On Tue, 18 May 2010, Christian Heimes wrote:

>> The Makefile has about a dozen sets of defaults for a variety of platforms.
>> Pick the one closest to your setup, uncomment it (and change it if needed).
>> Then you don't have to enter these on the command line.
>
> My point is that you may want to remove most examples and replace them with
> sensible defaults that work for all Un*x platforms and Python 2.5+.

The definition of 'sensible' then becomes a shouting match. This is why
there is a dozen of so-called sensible defaults for each and every platform
claimed to be supported. Between python 2.5, 2.6 and 2.7 the way to invoke a
module from the command line changed three times. What's a sensible default
to that ??

>> This is how I solved this on Windows. I'll try to see if the same trick
>> works on Linux. If it does, then the export=True parameter would become
>> unnecessary. Still, unless the dynamic loader can find _lucene.so on its
>> own
>> (and it should be via some -rpath tricks), loading the --import'ed module
>> first might still be a good idea.
>
> I tried to implement the very same feature. You beat me to it. :) It's
> working very well on Linux. How did you trick the linker to include
> _lucene.so as a dependency? The -l option obviously doesn't work since the
> shared library has no "lib" prefix.

No, -l doesn't work, but adding the full path of the .so to the link command
line works fine. I just add lucene._lucene.__file__ to setup()'s
extra_link_args.

>> I'd very much like to try to reproduce your problems with your software.
>> Is there any way I can get your stuff and build it here ?
>> It would be much easier to debug this if we worked with the same stuff.
>
> I'll send you a new Makefile and some example code tomorrow. In the mean time
> I'm happy to write that your changes have fixed the issue with class_ and the
> missing OrderHitsDesc enum.

Excellent, thanks for the good news !

Andi..