From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: pylucene in a virtual environment
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 18:37:46 GMT

On May 21, 2010, at 11:14, "herb@orcatec.com" <herb@orcatec.com> wrote:

> I set up pylucene and installed it in the standard fashion.  That
> seems to have
> worked.  Now I am building a virtual environment to do some
> development in.
> I ran make from the virtualenv and it worked, but when I try to make
> install, it
> tries to put it in /usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/
>
> I saw a suggestion from Andi about using --home, but I'm not sure
> where to put
> it.  Is that what needs to be done?  Do I have to build jcc from the
> virtualenv
> as well?  In other words, where do I start when putting things in my
> virtualenv?  Can I copy from dist-packages?

I use virtualenv a lot as I have to have a bunch of branches/configs
available on the same machine.

I always use the python executable that's installed in the virtualenv.
You need to make sure that's also the case in the PyLucene Makefile by
editing the section corresponding to your platform to make it so
(PREFIX_PYTHON).

I also always build jcc into the virtualenv first although that
shouldn't strictly be necessary since virtualenv normally inherits
modules from its origin.

Andi..