From Herbert Roitblat <h...@orcatec.com>
Subject Re: pylucene in a virtual environment
Date Fri, 21 May 2010 22:06:39 GMT
Thanks, but unfortunately, I don't know what is right either.  This is
the first time I am trying to set this up in a virtual environment. All
I can see is that it's claiming that I don't have write permission
Using the virtual environment, I should not need to invoke sudo to
install it because it should install in my virtual environment, not in
/usr.  The permissions error suggests that it is installing it in the
global location, rather than the virtual location.

I am using Ubuntu 10.04 with Python 2.6.2.

My virtual environment is located at ~/herb/venv.

I'm sorry to hear that when you run it from your virtual environment, it
just works.  Clearly I'm doing something wrong.  I'll try to lay out
what I did.  The pylucene directory was mounted under my home directory:

~/pylucene-2.9.2-1/jcc.  I did try moving it to under my virtual
environment directory, but that made no difference.

I changed jcc/setup.py to point to the java jvm, which is in /usr/lib.

JDK = {
     'darwin':
'/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/Current',
     'ipod': '/usr/include/gcc',
     'linux2': '/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.20/',
     'sunos5': '/usr/jdk/instances/jdk1.6.0',
     'win32': 'o:/Java/jdk1.6.0_02',
}

---
Then I ran setup.py build
and setup.py install.  That'w when I got the message below:
error: JCC.egg-info/PKG-INFO: Permission denied

I think that it should go somewhere under my virtual environment
directory.  I guess under lib?

I hope that you have some suggestions or can think of where the location
for JCC.egg-info/PKG-INFO is coded.

Thanks for your help.
Herb