From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Windows binaries of JCC and PyLucene
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 19:30:04 GMT

On Wed, 18 Feb 2009, Christian Heimes wrote:

> Christian Heimes wrote:
>> I'm looking for Windows binaries of JCC 2.1 and PyLucene 2.4. I tried to
>> build the Windows binaries myself using Sun JDK 1.6.0u12 and MinGW32 but
>> I had no luck.
>
> Good news everybody! Apparently the JCC sources are not compatible with
> GCC 3.4. I had more luck with GCC 4.1.2 from
> http://www.develer.com/oss/GccWinBinaries. I've appended a working patch
> against the latest trunk.

Thanks for the patch !
While it is a good example, it would break people using Visual Studio, in
particular with the link line, -ljvm. On the other hand, the JDK variable
idea I should try to incorporate, on all platforms.

> The PyLucene Makefile is really a pain in the ... I had to pull off
> several ugly hacks in order to compile PyLucene. Any other system than a
> Makefile would greatly improve the situation on Windows. For example
> http://www.blueskyonmars.com/projects/paver/ is really nice and easy to use.

Like I said yesterday, a complete setuptools-based solution for PyLucene
would be more than welcome and work better on Windows. Until someone writes
it, we're all stuck with the Makefile. Any other solution that only
helps/works on Windows or makes Python users cringe (ant), and thus
duplicates maintenance efforts is not so useful :)

Andi..