From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Makefile question
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 05:59:55 GMT

On Thu, 12 Feb 2009, Jacob Floyd wrote:

> Simple question regarding the Makefile:
>
> --- snippet ---
> $(REGEX_JAR): $(LUCENE_JAR)
> 	rm -f $(LUCENE)/contrib/regex/src/java/org/apache/lucene/search/regex/JakartaRegexpCapabilities.java
> 	rm -f $(LUCENE)/contrib/regex/src/java/org/apache/regexp/RegexpTunnel.java
> 	cd $(LUCENE)/contrib/regex; $(ANT) -Dversion=$(LUCENE_VER)
> --- snippet ---
>
> Why was it necessary to remove these .java files? Is this a change
> that needs to become part of lucene itself?

These file depend on yet another thirdparty project, Apache Regex (?), and I
didn't want to have a dependency on that. Given that Python has excellent
regular expression support, I replaced these files with a Python-based
implementation.

It turns out that the Python implementation is currently missing in
PyLucene (and has been since the move to JCC). I should have that
resurrected shortly but it involves a patch to the Lucene Regex contrib
package. You might want to consider skipping that contrib package in your
ebuild.

Andi..