From Andi Vajda <va...@apache.org>
Subject Re: make test doesn't work before install
Date Fri, 13 Feb 2009 18:33:39 GMT

On Feb 13, 2009, at 8:27, Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-
aachen.de> wrote:

> On a machine with an old (2 month old SVN) PyLucene / Java

What operating system ?
What versions of python, java ?

> installation
> I've built first jcc than PyLucene itself.
> Executing
>
> make test
>
> failed reproducibly with a segmentfault in the Java VM
> for the very first test.
>
> Only after installing PyLucene (nearly) all tests pass.

'nearly' is not good enough. Unless it's the compound vs regular index
test - which is timing sensitive and depends on what else is going on
on your machine at that time - all tests should reliably, consistently
pass. Which tests are failing ?

> Since 'make test' is intended to be run before install
> this is strange.
>
> I guess an invalid dynamic library gets used for these tests.

I've had issues like this one when trying different versions of python
and getting it wrong. The versions of python jcc and pylucene are
built with better be the same, for example. This is made trickier,
somewhat, by shared mode. You better be sure that the right libjcc.so
(or whatever it's called on your OS) is being picked up. Looking for
stray copies on your system may help. Using ldd (linux) or otool (mac)
against the various executables generated will tell you where
libjcc.so is going to be picked up from.

Andi..