From Jacob Floyd <techgurufl...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Replacing the Makefile
Date Wed, 18 Feb 2009 21:36:46 GMT
Well, to tell the truth the limit of my exposure to setup.py is with
pylucene and related chandler dependencies. Though I don't know
exactly when I'd be able to do something like that, any suggestions
(besides googleing it, of course) of where to learn about making the
setup.py, or even about writing python? Are there any known cases
where someone has already made the java jars from a setup.py or
equivalent python script? As it is now, the python folks at gentoo
refused to do much with the ebuild because of compiling the one
extensions.jar, so all the help I got was from the java people - thus
the solution they know and like so well: ant. I'm inpartial either way
- I just don't like the idea of maintaining a completely different
build system for gentoo than the "standard" pylucene system. Whatever
I do, I'd like to see it integrated, so that gentoo and all of the
other platforms can use it. One ring, ahem build ahem, to rule them
all...

Jacob