FYI.

Begin forwarded message:

From: Ian Soboroff <isoboroff@gmail.com>
Date: April 29, 2010 3:26:27 PM EDT
To: IRList@lists.shef.ac.uk
Subject: [SIG-IRList] Call for papers: NGTC - The SIGIR 2010 Workshop on Next Generation Test Collections

Next-Generation Test Collections (NGTC '10)

http://ir.cis.udel.edu/NGTC10/cfp.html

Call for Papers

We solicit submissions for the workshop on Next-Generation Test Collections, to be held on July 23, 2010, in Geneva, Switzerland, in conjunction with the 33rd Annual International ACM SIGIR Conference on Research and Development in Information Retrieval (SIGIR 2010). The workshop will bring together researchers and practitioners from academia and industry to discuss future developments of test collections for textual information retrieval.

Motivation

In 2003, SIGIR held a workshop on evaluation methodologies for terabyte-scale test collections. At that time, we were trying to anticipate the kinds of difficulties that would arise from rapid upscaling of the Cranfield paradigm, and from that discussion grew several lines of research into measures, sampling methodologies, and evaluation frameworks.

In the intervening years, TREC document collections have increased in size from gigabytes to hundreds of gigabytes, and now tens of terabytes. We are beginning to see that our ideas about the challenges of terabyte-scale (and larger!) test collections were not quite on the mark. Research has shown that current very large TREC collections suffer from judgment-set bias and reusability challenges more complex than our early expectations envisioned.

This workshop invites cutting-edge research on tackling the problem of building test collections at the multi-terabyte scale that are realistic, fair, and reusable. The goal of the workshop is to map out the critical research questions that need to be asked and the types of collections we need to consider building in order to answer them.

Topics

Appropriate subjects for papers include, but are not limited to

Submission Instructions

Research contributions should report new unpublished research results, research work in progress, or positions, ideas, and challenges for test collection design. Submissions can be full papers up to eight pages long (for oral presentation) or short papers up to two pages long (for poster presentation) and should be formatted in double-column ACM SIG proceedings format.

Papers should be submitted electronically using the conference management system: http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=ngtc10.

Important Dates

June 4, 2010Submission deadline
June 18, 2010Notification of acceptance
July 2, 2010Camera-ready submission
July 23, 2010Workshop in Geneva

Organizing Committee

Ian Soboroff, NIST
Ben Carterette, University of Delaware
Virgil Pavlu, Northeastern University

Program Committee

Jay Aslam, Northeastern University
Peter Bailey, Microsoft
Charlie Clarke, University of Waterloo
Evgeniy Gabrilovitch, Yahoo!
Scott Huffman, Google
Evangelos Kanoulas, University of Sheffield
Don Metzler, ISI, USC
Jan Pedersen, Microsoft
Mark Sanderson, University of Sheffield
Ellen Voorhees, NIST
William Webber, University of Melbourne

This SIGIR-IRList message and the SIG-IRList Digest (a moderated IR newsletter), are brought to you by SIGIR, distributed from the University of Sheffield and edited by Mark Smucker (irlist-editor@acm.org).
o To submit an article, e-mail IRList@lists.shef.ac.uk
[The email address is required only if you want to unsubscribe with an address other than the address with which you send the message]

o For more info, visit: http://www.sigir.org/sigirlist/
These files are not to be sold or used for commercial purposes.
THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED WITHIN THIS DOCUMENT DO NOT REPRESENT THOSE OF THE EDITOR, THE UNIVERSITY OF WATERLOO OR THE UNIVERSITY OF SHEFFIELD.
AUTHORS ASSUME FULL RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR MATERIAL.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/

Search the Lucene ecosystem using Solr/Lucene: http://www.lucidimagination.com/search