lucene-openrelevance-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Lots to talk about! (was Re: Any Java/ASF qrels code yet?)
Date Wed, 23 Dec 2009 20:43:14 GMT

On Dec 23, 2009, at 2:37 PM, Mark Bennett wrote:

> And should we "take on TREC" ?

First and foremost, this project is a way for Lucene to talk about relevance in a standard
way.  In other words, we are scratching our own itch.  If others have that same itch (and
we know they do), all the better, but that doesn't mean the room isn't big enough for more
than one approach.  Some of the TREC/CLEF organizers are actually on this list and have been
very helpful in the past.  Besides, TREC is a conference.  The data/qrels are the means for
everyone at the conference to speak the same language.  If the TREC collection were redistributable
w/o fee I doubt this project would even exist.    Perhaps, if we are successful, it just might
be the case that TREC uses one or more of our datasets/qrels/judgments.  In other words, the
project and the conference could be quite complementary.

-Grant