lucene-openrelevance-user mailing list archives

From Ludovico Boratto <bora...@sc.unica.it>
Subject Calculating a search engine's MAP
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 14:46:11 GMT
Hi everyone,
I'm a PhD student, and I was wondering how is it possible to evaluate a
search engine performances with a dataset like the ones made available for
the TREC tracks.

The problem I have is: once I submit a query and the search engine forms a
list of ranked results, how do I know which documents are relevant and the
ones that are not?
I know that with each track there are relevant judgments available, but
those judgments are about a small number of queries and documents.

Since these are my first steps in the IR world, I hope you don't mind
helping me, please.

Thanks in advance for your help, I'm looking forward to hearing from you
soon.
Yours faithfully,
Ludovico