lucene-openrelevance-user mailing list archives

From Grant Ingersoll <gsing...@apache.org>
Subject Re: OpenRelevance and crowdsourcing
Date Wed, 21 Oct 2009 13:15:45 GMT

On Oct 16, 2009, at 8:30 PM, Omar Alonso wrote:

> Sure.
>
> 1- We can start by paying between 2 and 5 cents per document/query
> pair (or document/topic) on a short data set (say 200 docs). That
> should be in the order of $25 (assuming 2 cents and 5 turkers per
> assignment + AMZN fee).
>
> It also depends how many experiments one would like to run. My
> suggestion would be to run 2 or 3 experiments with some small data
> sets for say $100 to see what kind of response we get back and then
> think about something else at large scale.

While I realize $100 isn't a lot, we simply don't have a budget for
such experiments and the point of ORP is to be able do this in the
community.  I suppose we could ask the ASF board for the money, but I
don't think we are ready for that anyway.  I very much have a "If you
build it, they will come" mentality, so I know if we can just get
bootstrapped with some data and some queries and a way to collect
their judgments, we can get people interested.

> I have some tips on how to run crowdsourcing for relevance
> evaluation here: http://wwwcsif.cs.ucdavis.edu/~alonsoom/ExperimentDesign.pdf

Thanks!

> 2- If the goal is to have everything open source (gold set +
> relevance judgments), we need to produce a new data set from
> scratch. Also, what is the goal here? What is the domain? Enterprise
> search? Ad-hoc retrieval?

Yes.  I think the primary goal of ORP is to give people within Lucene
a way to judge relevance that doesn't require us to purchase datasets,
just like the contrib/benchmarker gives us a way to talk about
performance.  So, while it may evolve to be more, I'd be happy with a
simple, fixed collection at this point.  Wikipedia is OK, but in my
experience, there is often only a few good answers for a query to
begin with, so it's harder to judge recall, but that doesn't mean it
isn't useful.

I know there are a lot of issues around curating a good collection,
but I'd like to be pragmatic and just say, what can we arrive at in a
reasonable amount of time that best approximates what someone doing,
say, genetic/biopharma research might do.  Just getting a raw dataset
like PubMed on a given day seems like a good first step, then we can
work to clean it up and generate queries on it.

> In summary, I would start with something small (English only,
> Creative Commons or Wikipedia). Build a few experiments and see the
> results. Then expand on data sets and also make it multilingual.

Agreed.  I'm not too worried about multilingual just yet, but it is a
fun problem.

> o.

Grant Ingersoll
http://www.lucidimagination.com/