From "Kohlhepp, Justin W ()" <Justin.Kohlh...@thehartford.com>
Subject Expected behavior of phrase search with wildcard
Date Thu, 12 Jul 2012 13:15:14 GMT
I have an index of about 30M records.  One of the fields contains
company names.  I am using an out-of-the-box QueryParser to create
queries.  My users want to do a search that will match both STATE
INDUSTRY and STATE INDUSTRIES as a company name.  So they are trying the
search "state industr*" or "state industr"*.  The first search returns
nothing.  The next search returns every document in the index, even
though most of them don't have STATE or INDUSTRY anywhere in them.  This
seems to be true regardless of which phrase is used.

Two questions:

*         What is the proper syntax for a QueryParser to do a wildcard
query combined with a phrase?

*         Why does the syntax "my phrase"* return every document?

Thanks,

~ Justin

This communication, including attachments, is for the exclusive use of addressee and may contain
proprietary, confidential and/or privileged information.  If you are not the intended recipient,
any use, copying, disclosure, dissemination or distribution is strictly prohibited.  If you
are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return e-mail, delete
this communication and destroy all copies.