From "Rob Vesse" <rve...@dotnetrdf.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Apache Lucene.Net ready for graduation?
Date Sun, 08 Jul 2012 18:47:01 GMT
I will refrain from voting either way for now as I wanted to raise
something.

As a PMC member of another project (Apache Jena) that recently graduated
from the Incubator I would raise one issue that the Lucene.Net PMC should
consider which is whether the community meets the following requirement:

"Demonstrate an active and diverse development community"

While this partly refers to the PMC/commiter base it also refers to
community involvement e.g. mailing list traffic

Certainly the user list seems to suffer from sporadic and low traffic which
might be considered as a bad sign by the Incubator PMC.  I don't subscribe
to the developers list so maybe that has the majority of the traffic (which
looking at the archives looks to be the case) but you should consider how
else you can demonstrate viable community activity e.g. questions asked and
answered on StackOverflow, blog posts from non-PMC members - if the
Incubator PMC should raise this as a barrier to graduation

It may be that this is no barrier to graduation but it is worth thinking
about now and checking with your Incubator mentors to avoid wasting your
effort.  I believe the Incubator PMC has previously said you are ready to
graduate so maybe this is a non-issue in this projects case especially
since I presume you would graduate as a Lucene sub-project rather than a
new TLP and thus benefit from the wider Lucene community?

Rob