From "Richard Wilde" <rich...@wildesoft.net>
Subject Issue on the cloud
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2012 13:52:09 GMT
Hi, I seem to be having an issue with Lucene (I just downloaded 2.9.4g as I
previously used 2.4) when deployed onto the cloud (Rackspace Cloud)

I suspect I do not understand optimising properly. This is the code:-

public static void IndexNews(CmsNews newsDoc)

{

       directory = FSDirectory.Open(new
DirectoryInfo(Settings.LuceneBaseDir));

       var writer = new IndexWriter(directory, Analyzer, false,
IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);

       writer.AddDocument(GetNewsDocument(newsDoc));

       //writer.Optimize(); <-If I uncomment this then I get an error

       writer.Close();

       directory.Close();

}

public static void IndexNews(IList<CmsNews> newsList)

{

       directory = FSDirectory.Open(new
DirectoryInfo(Settings.LuceneBaseDir));

       var writer = new IndexWriter(directory, Analyzer, false,
IndexWriter.MaxFieldLength.LIMITED);

       foreach (var item in newsList)

              writer.AddDocument(GetNewsDocument(item));

       writer.Optimize();

       writer.Close();

       directory.Close();

}

If I uncomment the above write.Optimize when I index a single document I get
the following error:-

no segments* file found in
Lucene.Net.Store.SimpleFSDirectory@\\fs1-n01\stor1wc1dfw1\381858\testing.wil
desoft.net\web\content\App_Data\LuceneIndex\
lockFactory=Lucene.Net.Store.NativeFSLockFactory: files: write.lock

If I comment the above write.Optimize then all works great.

So my questions are:-

1.       Why is this happening, are we trying to optimise prematurely?

2.       If so then do I need to ever worry about writer.optimise or does
the indexes eventually optimise themselves?

3.       Also I noticed that there is a generics branch but cannot find any
guidance into indexing/searching. I assume that the generics are for
searching, does any exist?

This is a small scale CMS system so I will not be indexing 100's of
documents a day.

However ALL works locally on my dev box without any problems.

Many Thanks
Richard