From "Moray McConnachie" <mmcco...@oxford-analytica.com>
Subject RE: [Lucene.Net] Server farm sharing Lucene
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 16:19:16 GMT

Director of IT    +44 1865 261 600
Oxford Analytica  http://www.oxan.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Sayatovic [mailto:bsayatovic@creditinfonet.com]
Sent: 23 May 2011 14:06
To: lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: RE: [Lucene.Net] Server farm sharing Lucene

Interesting!

Right now, the index updating occurs on the same thread where the DB
write is occurring.  This is nice in that we have little room for one to
happen without the other.  With a dedicated search server, I'd have to
see pushing the update off to that other server via a message queue,
perhaps, and then the ability have all servers in the farm query through
it.

Still, I'd worry about fail over.  We have some other failover
strategies where every server in the farm is capable of a function, but
only one server is actively doing it.  But each server periodically
checks if any other server still has an "active claim" (i.e. not too
old) and if not, it will pick up.  So in the event one server fails,
another in the farm takes over.

Perhaps I could marry the two.

But, as said earlier in this thread, I won't prematurely optimize.