From Michael Mitiaguin <mitiag...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Lucene.NET Community Status
Date Sun, 31 Oct 2010 03:07:28 GMT
I've been using Lucene.Net since 2005 and know its history quite well. Just
some comments :

1.  What actually PMC expects ?. Any activity with regular check-ins ? E.g.
there is a stable Lucene.Net  2.9.2 which is accurate clone of Java
counterpart without trying to use more advanced/natural C# features
primarily to make it easier to keep up with Java Lucene.  Hypothetically,
let's assume existing committers decided for whatever reason to implement
NIOFSDirectory somehow  and for the moment and for the next several months
heavily involved in that . Version wise gap is increasing, but there is an
activity. Does it constitute that the project is alive ?
2. As an user I'd prefer just to have Lucene.Net in sync with Java Lucene.
Surely, I can't dictate whether comitters decide to implement NIOFSDirectory
or make codebase more natural for C#  or just primarily try to stay in sync
with Java as close as possible.

I  missed  how the latest versions were synched . My understanding it is
still automatic initial conversion with some refinement/amendment
afterwards.   Would it be possible for several comitters ( if they are found
) incrementally make Lucene.Net 3.0.2 ? If not there is a dependency of this
project on one man   and repeat it again far from fun, but  no idea how to
get out of this vicious cycle .

Michael