From "Brian J. Sayatovic" <bsayato...@creditinfonet.com>
Subject RE: Clarifying enterprise application use of Lucene.Net
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:50:05 GMT
Ben, a few questions if you'll humor me:

1. Where is IndexUpToDate()?  I looked on IndexWriter but did not see it.

2. Are you closing the IndexWriter after you add a document so that the
other server won't be locked out?  I'm currently developing on a single
server and have not yet set up to experiment with that.

3. Are you Optimizing after each Commit()?  If not, when are you optimizing?

Regards,
Brian.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ben West [mailto:bwsithspawn00@yahoo.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2010 1:07 PM
To: lucene-net-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Clarifying enterprise application use of Lucene.Net

Hey Brian,

I'm not a Lucene expert, but I can tell you what we do.

I have two servers which share the same index, and hence have the same
problem that you have where two writers write to the same directory. The
only major thing that I've noticed is that you need to call the
IndexUpToDate() method to ensure that you're not writing to a stale index.

I've never had issues with thread safety in Lucene, even though all threads
share the same accessors.

Thanks,
-Ben

database 5198 (20100615) __________