From "Shaw, James" <James_S...@intuit.com>
Subject RE: New user question
Date Thu, 09 Nov 2006 06:49:10 GMT
Thanks George.  That helps a lot.

While I'm at it, could you or the people on this mailing help answering the following questions
of mine:

1. Are there alternatives to PorterStemFilter that does a better job in stemming?

2. I've used org.apache.lucene.wordnet for synonyms (which uses wordnet), but also am wondering
if there are other alternatives I should check out.

3. The org.apache.lucene.search.spell hasn't been translated to .NET, and also I'm wondering
where I could get a flat text file for all English words for PlainTextDictionary class if
I do decide to translate org.apache.lucene.search.spell and use it for catching mis-spelling
and suggesting substitute words when searching.

4. It seems that Lucene's fuzzy search feature can be an alternative to using a dictionary
to auto-correct mis-spell; what's people's experience?  Have people used that to catch mis-spelling
instead of a dictionary like org.apache.lucene.search.spell?

5. I still have to catch up on the Vector Space Model used by Lucene to score, but does anyone
know for sure whether Lucene scoring takes proximity into account?

In other words, if a user types in "payroll taxes" will the search engine give a higher ranking
to a document where "payroll" and "taxes" appear close together (e.g., same paragraph) in
text than when they appear farther apart (e.g., different paragraphs)?

I've tested this case with Lucene and it does give the doc with the terms closer together
a higher score, but just want to confirm with those who know the scoring algorithm behind
Lucene.

6. Can Lucene search the within the results of a prior query?

7. Is there any foreign language spell checking solution available with Lucene?

Thanks a lot for answering my questions.