From "George Aroush" <geo...@aroush.net>
Subject RE: New user question
Date Wed, 08 Nov 2006 02:11:43 GMT
Hi Shaw,

#1. Lucene.Net is fairly in sync with each release version of Java Lucene.
The very original port of Java Lucene to Lucene.Net (versions 1.3 and 1.4)
was done more then 3 years ago by another developer at SourceForge.net.
When 1.4 went commercial, I picked up 1.4 named it dotLucene (again on
SourceForge.net) and I have been supporting and porting it since then.
dotLucene and Lucene.Net are the same thing.  Now that Lucene.Net is under
incubation at ASF, you can count on it not going commercial unless if ASF
went commercial!  :-)

#2. Use the latest release version for production which is Lucene.Net 1.9.1
build 3 or use the "beta" version (off the SVN trunk) which is Lucene.Net
2.0.  There is little differences between 1.9.1 and 2.0.  The main
differences is that in 2.0, all depreciated methods have been removed.

#3. Any version of Lucene.Net are usable with .NET 1.1 or 2.0.  The source
code is provided, just compile it under which ever .NET version you want to
use it on.  I have found that, with .NET 1.1, you will get a slow memory
leak which doesn't show up under .NET 2.0.  My goal is, to release
Lucene.Net 2.0 under .NET 1.1 and then release Lucene.Net 2.0.1 under .NET
2.0.  Why?  To add compression support to Lucene.Net off .NET 2.0's API.

Another comment I can tell you about Lucene.Net is that the index created
with Lucene.Net is cross-compatible with Java Lucene, and via verse such
that you can have a Java instance and a .NET instance of Lucene both
searching, and updating the same index concurrently -- if you share the lock
file.

I hope this helps.  If you have any questions, let me know.

Regards,

-- George Aroush