lucene-lucene-net-dev mailing list archives

From Ravi Patel <rpat...@live.com>
Subject lucene performance questions
Date Tue, 18 May 2010 13:33:34 GMT

I have a bunch of fields that have single values such as "date", "id", "flagged"

I've noticed that if I Index Tokenize them, my queries are much faster than if they are Untokenized.

In My query, I'm using a BooleanQuery or RangeFilter/Query and querying/sorting/filterling
based on these values.

Example uses:

SortField minuteSort = new SortField("date", SortField.STRING, reverse);

filter = new RangeFilter("id", lowerId, upperId, false, false);

booleanQuery.Add(new TermQuery(new Term("flagged", "true")), BooleanClause.Occur.MUST_NOT);

Two Questions:

1.  Is there a cost at search-time in making fields Tokenized that don't need to be?  I assume
there's a cost at Index time, but I'm not too worried about the Index cost.

2.  Should fields that are used in my 3 example lines above by Tokenized?  If not, why am
I seeing a huge performance difference when they are UnTokenized?  I'm really not running
any queries that require some sort of analysis on these fields other than that they are indexed
as-s